Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Breast Cancer Month


In October, everyone starts thinking about the tree's leaves turning red, or which Halloween costume their children are going to be wearing. But October is also the month that many people get their pink ribbon pins back out and wear them proudly(or they may have never put them up). I have always been very up to date on ovarian cancer because my Great Grandmother died from it but I have never given breast cancer as much recognition. I decided to read up on it so that I could relate with it a little bit more. According to Medical News Today, Breast Cancer is the second most common cancer in women in the US, topped only by skin cancer. More than 211,000 women and 1,600 men will be diagnosed with it this year. The positive news is that if the cancer is detected early and treated, more than 95 percent of patients survive five years or more.I was also suprised to read that it is the second-leading cause of cancer death, after lung cancer, according to the American Cancer Society. I was very curious as to why October was picked as the designated month but I was not able to find out anything.

I found a really great site during my research:
The Breast Cancer Site
Once you get to the site there is a big pink button in the middle that says "Click here to give". Each time you or someone else clicks on the button it is paid for by a site sponsor. The proceeds are going towards funding free mammograms for women in need- low income, inner city and minority women whose awareness of breast cancer and opportunity for help is often limited. This is a really great way to help if you are not able to donate otherwise.








AVON also donates to the Breast Cancer Foundation
The lip balm is only $1.50 and 100% of the proceeds are donated to the Avon Breast Cancer Crusade. Click on the lip balm to see more pink ribbon merchandise.


No comments: